Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple but delicious bread and sausage stuffing using Portuguese Chourico. Note: You can substitute Linguica if Chourico is unavailable. The bread should be your standard $0.99 sandwich style bread, nothing more fancy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Portuguese chourico
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons Bell's seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper
- Open the bread bags and leave out for 48 hours. You can skip this step if you don't have the time and instead lightly toast both loaves to dry them.
- Tear the bread into small (nickle to quarter sized) chunks and set aside in a large baking pan. The disposable foil 18" x 13.25" pans w/ cover work well for this.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind the chourico, onion in a food processor or finely chop it by hand. Do not liquefy!
- Melt butter in large skillet over low heat.
- Add chourico, onion, salt and seasoning to butter and saute.
- Add milk to chourico mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture over the bread in baking pan. Combine thoroughly. Start by tossing the mixture and as soon as the butter/sausage cools to a workable temperature combine by hand. The bread should be entirely coated with no dry spots.
- Spread the mixture evenly around the pan and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. The stuffing should start to brown on the top.