Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a collection of old Welsh cake recipes, purchased in Wales in 1992. "An impressive cake, its dark base contrasting with a deep meringue topping, is created by the simple improvement on the original of just one extra egg yolk, and one, or perhaps two, egg whites." The recipe says 1 teaspoon cinnamon. You might want a stronger cinnamon taste, so maybe use 1 1/2 teaspoons or to taste. As I haven't tried this cake yet I don't know how long it takes until the meringue topping is set.
- 8 ounces flour
- 4 ounces sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 -3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk, to mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and rub in the butter.
- Add the spice and sugar, then he egg yolks and a little milk to bind to a farily stiff sponge.
- Turn into a shallow, well greased tin or plate - preferably a dish you can serve it in as the base is best left where it is.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 400°F.
- Cool an spread with jam (apricot or raspberry).
- For the meringue topping, beat the egg whites until stiff, fold in 1 tablespoon caster sugar for each white and beat again in the usual way until shiny.
- Pile on top of the base and return to a cooler oven (325 F) to set and until the peaks are tipped with gold.
Cinnamon cake with the raspberry jam and meringue was Excellent. Loved the cinnamon flavor in this cake . Thank You. Made for ZWT8.
Great taste! Was like a cinnamon snack cake with a layer of fruit and meringue Not too sweet, but definitely a dessert. We made it in our 2 liter corning ware dish (9x9?) and it came out fantastic. Thanks Mia! Made for ZWT8 trip to Great Britain.