Recipe by Amis
This is a great holiday cake. So good. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Top Review by bakedapple42
This baked up nicely. It was a little heavy, but I suppose that is how it is supposed to be. The honey flavor is quite pronounced so I opted to brush it with current preserves instead of more honey as the recipe suggested. The meringue topping turned it into more of a dessert cake than it would be without it. I think that sweetened cream would make a nice topping as well. Thanks for the nice recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb plain white household flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1⁄4 lb melted honey
- 1 tablespoon melted honey or 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄4 lb caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sieve the flour, baking powderand spice into a bowl.
- Lightly grease a tin pie plate measuring about 8-1/2-inches across the top.
- Cream the butter with 3 oz sugar until creamy and light.
- Add the egg yolks then the 1/4 lb honey, gradually.
- Gently mix in the flour, then the milk.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared tin, mounding it slightly in the center.
- Bake at 400 F (200 C) gas mark 6 for about half an hour.
- Let the cake rest in its tin for 2 minutes before turning it out on to a wire rack.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes then slide it onto a baking tray and brush the top with 1 tablespoon warmed honey - or red currant jelly if you prefer.
- Whisk the egg whites and the remaining 1 oz sugar to make a glossy meringue mixture. Swirl this over the top of the cake and bake at 325 F (160 C) gas mark 3 for about 20 minutes.
- Serve the cake when it is cold.