Recipe by Misty Mathews
Dirty Rice is a staple in South Louisiana. I fell in love with this dressing at an Easter family gathering. I begged and got this wonderful recipe from my husband's Aunt Adine Laborde (TeeTa as she is known in the family) I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Top Review by Susie D
I loved the addition of the eggplant and will definitely do that again when making dirty rice. I did think that this recipe needs more spices & rice added to suit the tastes of my family. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 4 medium green peppers (chopped)
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups rice (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cube eggplant, boil 10 minutes and drain.
- Melt butter in heavy large dutch oven.
- Saute onion, garlic, celery, peppers until soft, add ground meat and cook until meat is done.
- Add eggplant to meat mixture and mash.
- Cook meat/eggplant mixture an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and peppers (adjust for taste) Then fold in rice and green onions in meat mixture.
- Turn off heat and let steam for 30 minutes.
- Fold in parsley just before serving.