1 hr 30 mins
This is a recreation recipe of the Hostess Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pies, that came out in the early 90s.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- green food coloring
- shortening (for deep frying)
VANILLA PUDDING FILLING
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1For Pudding: Mix sugar flour and salt together with a whisk. Add milk and microwave until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2Quickly add egg yolks, whisking away so they don't cook too fast. Cook another minute or until thick.
- 3Add butter and vanilla, whisk again until smooth.
- 4You may make this on the stove if you don't like the microwave idea, but be sure to stir so the bottom doesn't burn.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap (so a film will not form on top) and let cool.
- 6For Crust: Stir salt into flour. Measure shortening and cut into flour with a fork or pastry blender until the dough texture is like peas. Add a few drops of green food color to 1/4 cup water and mix.
- 7Add and stir to flour mixture until ingredients hold together and color turns green.
- 8Roll dough out onto a floured surface.
- 9Divide into ten balls.
- 10Roll each ball into a circle and add 1/4 cup or less of filling in the center of the circle.
- 11Fold dough in half over filling and crimp edges. Don't get any filling on the edge or it might leak out and ruin the pie.
- 12Cook in hot (Crisco) shortening at least an inch deep in your skillet, set at 375 degrees, frying about 4 minutes per side.
- 13Important: use a pancake turner or other utensil that will hold the pie, as you don't want it to crack and leak filling when you cook it or you will have a mess. Be careful with the hot grease, it will boil up if the filling leaks.
- 14For glaze: in a large mixing bowl, combine all glaze ingredients until smooth. While pies are still warm, dip them into glaze. Allow pies to drip on wire racks until cool.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pies - Filled With Vanilla Puddin'
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 815.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 510.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 158.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 130.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g