Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm going to say use a packet of pectin for this jam. The original called for "1/4 t gum arabic." Use this on bread or whatever you like. From http://www.habeeb.com/Lebanese-food/Lebanese-recipes.12.html
- 2 lbs figs, dried
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons anise seed, powdered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2-1 cup walnuts
- Cut the dried figs in small pieces.
- Dissolve sugar in water and bring to a full boil.
- Skim off the foam.
- Add lemon juice.
- Place figs in the syrup and boil together on a medium flame. Gradually increase the flame, stirring mixture constantly to avoid burning.
- Add walnuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds and anise seeds and cook on low fire for five minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from fire.
- Stir in mustikah (pectin).
- Pour into jars.
- Decorate tops with walnut halves which have been lightly toasted.