Recipe by Bergy
Nearly all the sweet & sour sauces here on RecipeZaar have pineapple in them - this one doesn't . It is just a perfect combo of sweet/sour flavor. Do your pork, chicken what ever meat you prefer pan browned or deep fried then pour this sauce over and serve immediately. If you are not deep frying the meat coat with a bit of corn starch and crisp fry it until done. I like 1" cubes for the meat. This is enough sauce for 1 lb of meat
Top Review by 89240
Great recipe. I used pieces of bone-in chicken. For the sugar/splenda, I used 36 drops of liquid splenda and a pinch of stevia powder. Instead of corn starch, I used a very little bit of xanthan gum. It was very good.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon other low flavored oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded,menbranes removed,cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 medium carrot, scrapped,cut into strips 2 inch long by 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons sugar or 4 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, disolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put tbsp of oil into a wok or skillet, heat but not smoking.
- Add garlic, carrot & green pepper stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until the carrot & pepper start to darken in color.
- Pour in the chicken stock, soy, vinegar & sugar, bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 1 minute.
- Add mixed cornstarch, keep stirring the sauce until it is clear and thickened.
- Pour over the meat and enjoy.