Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Ted's Strawberry Shortcake is a dish I recently had the opportunity to try when I was in Atlanta. So if you have never been to Ted's, you are in for a real treat. Buffalo hamburgers, regular hamburgers and some delicious home-style cooking abounds here. The restaurant has a lovely decor, and the food is quite good for when you are dining out. If you have never tried making your own shortcakes, you have been missing something. Sure, the shortcakes you get in the store are tasty, but these homemade biscuits are so much more hearty. This is a dessert is perfect for the spring when fresh strawberries are available. I made one primary change to this recipe, I like to use fresh berries when they are available, so my recipe contains fresh strawberries, you could use frozen if desired.
FOR THE STRAWBERRIES
- 1 lb strawberry, washed and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
FOR THE SHORTCAKES
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- sugar, for dusting
- hagan daas vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE STRAWBERRIES: In a container with a lid, place strawberries, and sprinkle with sugar over the strawberries. Let sugar marinate over the strawberries for a couple of hours before using.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir heavy cream into sifted flour and mix gently until the flour is just incorporated. Gently knead and shape into 4 equal sized biscuits. Make four biscuits with dough, and place on a greased cookie sheet. If you have some dusting sugar, sprinkle a little onto the biscuits. Bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, the biscuits will be golden brown when done.
- SHORTCAKE ASSEMBLY:.
- 1 biscuit.
- 1 scoop Hagan Daas Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Whipped Cream.
- Slice shortcake in half, lay bottom of shortcake in a plate, then add a scoop of ice cream, a spoonful of strawberries, top with the biscuit top and whipped cream. Add additional strawberries t the plate around the biscuit.
- This is a great dessert to make ahead of time, and assemble the shortcakes right before dinner. I think if you added blackberries, or even blueberries to the mixture you would have a wonderful new creation.