Recipe by Ted
I have always loved Pad Thai, so I decided to figure out how to make it. My recipe doesn't use tamarind juice or shrimp, but it does taste delicious! Or so my wife says... If you do want a more authentic Pad Thai, reduce the chicken to a 1/2 lb. and add a 1/2 lb. of shrimp to the recipe. Be sure not to marinate the shrimp, and to add at the same time as the eggs. Also, replace the rice vinegar with tamarind juice. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kelly M.
This a good quick pad thai. I was looking to make something fast with leftover cooked chicken I had. I used ramen noodles, and didnt marinate the chicken, as it was already cooked, but added a little sherry to the sauce instead. I used sambol olek and the heat ended up perfect for my taste. The only thing I found was that I needed more sauce, but I had to cut the recipe down, so I can't say that it would be dry if you made the whole amount. I'd make this again for another quick dinner. Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces wide rice noodles
- 2 large eggs
- 6 -8 green onions
- 8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons rice wine or 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes and marinate in the 2 teaspoons of wine for 10 minutes.
- Prepare rice noodles according to package.
- Mince the garlic.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Cut the green onions into 2 inch lengths.
- Rinse the bean sprouts.
- Chop the peanuts.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Place a stir-fry pan or wok over high heat until hot. Add vegetable oil and swirl it around the sides of the pan.
- Add garlic and stir-fry till fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir-fry till done, about 3 minutes.
- Push the chicken to one side of the pan, then add the eggs and scramble on the other side.
- Add noodles, fish sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce all at once. Continue stir-frying until everything is well mixed.
- Add the green onions and bean sprouts and continue cooking till heated through.
- Place Pad Thai in a serving dish or on separate plates and garnish with the peanuts and lime.