Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Served in the White House by the Kennedy and Johnson administrations
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart heavy cream, beaten
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart Bourbon
- 1 cup jamaican rum (light or dark)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Beat the 12 egg whites until stiff. Be sure to have removed the little white hard parts.
- Beat in 1/2 cup sugar into the egg whites and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat until very light the 12 egg yolks (also free of any of the white hard part) with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Combine the egg mixtures and stir until thoroughly blended.
- To this, add 1 quart of the heavy cream which has been beaten, the 1 quart of milk and the 1 quart of the bourbon.
- After beating this well, add 1 cup rum and the 1 TBS of vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog into a gallon jug (putting the extra into a quart jar).
- Store in the refrigerator for at least a week before serving so that the flavor will mellow.
- Shake or stir thoroughly before serving.
- Ladle from a chilled punch bowl into small cups and sprinkle with nutmeg.