Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried pinto beans (or 3 cups canned beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 3⁄4 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 -5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (20 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- Soak dried beans overnight in enough water to cover.
- Drain beans and put in a large pot, reserving liquid.
- To the beans add, onion, bay leaf, salt and 4 cups water.
- Cook over med-high heat for 45.
- Beans should be tender but not mushy.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, brown ground beef in 1 tsp oil.
- Add 2 tsp oil to large pot and heat.
- Saute the onions, garlic, and peppers for ten minutes.
- Add spices, saute five minutes longer.
- Add meat, tomatoes, beans and cook for 45 minutes.
- If chili is too dry, add (one cup at a time) the liquid reserved from beans and bring to a boil.