Recipe by Cecily Parsley
From a culinary tutorial comic clipped from NOW magazine many years ago. I strongly advise putting the loose tea leaves into a cheesecloth bag to prevent a messy cleanup. These novel eggs can also be halved and devilled for a variation.
- 8 eggs
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons loose tea, Hu-Kwa or 2 tablespoons earl gray tea
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard cook 8 eggs in 1 qt water for 10-15 minutes and cool in the same water for 10 more minutes.
- Tap eggs until the whole shell is cracked. Return to pan and add the salt, soy sauce, star anise and tea leaves.
- Heat eggs on low and simmer for 30 minutes. Stand for 4 hours until cooled and ready to use. Peel eggs carefully. The white part should be marbled with dark cracked lines with a smokey taste.
- Serve quartered with toasted sesame seeds scattered over.