Recipe by Deantini
A fantastic show stopper! The flavours are incredible and the dish is easier to put together than it reads. I actually cannot take much credit as it is one of my husband's signature dishes. He prepares the beef on the BBQ in a large stock pot; I am the sous chef on this one preparing the salad ;). You can prepare the salad in advance as well as the dressing. Add as much of the fresh herbs as you like. From the local paper. Great recipe if you are trying to reduce carbs. Recipe calories are lower than listed (only 500 per serving) as rice and brown sugar are not consumed but just used for the smoking
- 1 cup jasmine tea, loose
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 2 pears, halved, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, slivered (or more)
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, slivered (or more)
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
DRESSING for BEEF
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- combine tea, rice and brown sugar;place mix in disposable foil pie plate.
- place plate on bottom of large wok, soup pot or deep sauce pan.
- place wok/pot on high heat until tea mixture starts to sizzle and smoke, approx 7 minute.
- place beef on rack that will fit in wok/pot and keep it raised 1 inch above the tea mixture;.
- cover tightly.
- smoke beef 5 min - turn off heat and let stand on burner for 20 minute.
- preheat oven to 450F and cook in oven for 5 minute.
- let rest for 5 min & slice thinly (beef will be rare).
- place pear, bell pepper, jalapeno, green onion, mint, basil and cilantro in medium bowl.
- in a small bowl stir together mayo, dijon, lemon juice and pepper.
- add to pear mixture, stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- whisk together dressing ingredients.
- TO SERVE:.
- distribute pear mixture on four plates.
- arrange sliced beef on top.
- sprinkle with salt.
- drizzle beef with lime dressing.