These delicately flavored eggs have an intricate marbled appearance.
Make and share this Tea Leaf Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- In saucepan cover eggs with cold water to a depth of at least 1 inch above eggs.
- Rapidly bring to a boil; cover pan tightly; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse quickly in cold water till eggs are cool enough to handle; drain.
- Tap eggs lightly all over till eggs are a network of fine cracks, but DO NOT PEEL.
- Return eggs, gently to the saucepan, add soy sauce, aniseed (or star anise), cinnamon, tea (in a tea ball), sugar, salt, and 2 cups of the cold water.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, adding water to keep eggs covered, if needed.
- Drain eggs, and chill.
- To serve, roll eggs between the palms of your hands to loosen shell; peel, starting from the large end of egg.