Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. Sophisticated and not too sweet. Nice as a tea float (in cooled tea of the same flavor you used to make the ice cream) or as ice cream sandwiches on shortbread cookies or just straight out of the bowl. Recipe can easily be halved if you don't have much freezer space. Cook time is freezing time.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water; stir to blend.
- Set aside to soften for 5 minutes (It won't hurt to let it sit longer) (make sure the gelatin dissolves completely).
- In a saucepan, combine light cream, vanilla, and tea leaves.
- Cover and bring just to boiling, over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour through a strainer to remove the vanilla bean and bits of leaves.
- In a large bowl, cream egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy (1-2 minutes).
- Whip the heavy cream until thickened (about 8 minutes).
- Mix with whipped cream, tea-flavored cream, rum, and dissolved gelatin; whip again for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a 2-quart freezer safe container and freeze for 4 hours.