Prep 1 min
Cook 6 mins
1950's recipe for tea essence to make it easy to serve tea to a crowd. This recipe makes 4 cups of tea essence which can be used to make 64 cups of tea. You could also use it to make fresh tasting iced tea.
- 1 cup dry tea leaves (or contents of 16 tea bags)
- 4 cups fresh boiling water
- Heat contained by rinsing out with boiling water.
- Put tea in pot. Pour 4 c of freshly boiling water over the tea leaves.
- Steep for 6 minutes.
- Strain and refridgerate.
- To use, put 1/2 to 3/4 cup of tea essence in an 8 cup teapot and fill the pot with fresh boiling water. Vary the anount of essence to get desired strength.
- If using tea bags, rip open the bags and use the contents. Squeezing 16 tea bags into a 4 cup volume does not give enough circulation space to properly steep the tea. As tea bag contents are usually pretty fine, you should strain this through a coffee filter.