1 hr 30 mins
While traditional afternoon tea is only a memory in most households, the tea cake deserves to be remembered. It's excellent served with tea, coffee, hot chocolate or milk. This version combines fragrant lemon peel, with generous wedges of Hawaiian fresh pineapple and buttery streusel crumbs. A light sprinkle of powdered sugar over the cooled cake adds a finishing touch. Serve warm for a special treat at any time of the day. From the newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- powdered sugar
- 1Trim and peel pineapple. Cut 6 slices, 1/2-inch thick, and cut fruit into wedges, removing cores.
- 2Prepare Streusel and set aside.
- 3Re-sift flour with baking powder and salt. Combine butter, granulated sugar and egg, and beat until well-blended. Stir in lemon peel, and about half the flour mixture. Stir in the milk, then stir in the remaining flour mixture.
- 4Turn into well-greased and lightly floured 8-inch springform pan (or baking pan 6 by 9 by 2 inches). Sprinkle with half the Streusel. Arrange pineapple wedges over top and sprinkle with remaining Streusel.
- 5Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 55 to 60 minutes, until cake tests done and edges begin to pull away from pan. Remove from oven to wire rack and let stand 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
- 6Sprinkle with a light sifting of powdered sugar.
- 7Serve warm or cool. Makes 8 servings.
- 8Streusel: Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed) and 1/4 cup flour. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter or margarine until particles are like coarse crumbs.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tea Cake, Island-Style
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.3
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 293.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g