Recipe by Missy Wombat
This comes from the island nation of Kiribati (pronounced Kear-a-bus, NOT Kear-a-bah-ti!) Times are guestimates. A typical Polynesian recipe with the tinned meat and powdered milk! Tinned meat is typically the NZ or Aussie mutton flaps. This would work well in a hangi or umu.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 lemon
- 1 can meat
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel pumpkin, wash and grate into a clean dish.
- Remove excess water from grated pumpkin.
- Shred cabbage and add to grated pumpkin.
- Add flour, meat, powdered milk, cabbage and baking powder to the pumpkin.
- Mix all together.
- Flavour with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Put mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Cook in oven until brown.