Recipe by echo echo
Greek meatball soup.
Top Review by twissis
We love soup & this was a good choice for us. I made a half recipe of the soup, doubled the amt of meatballs, used grd lamb as beef is costly here & made a few chgs to suit our pref. I had lamb stock in my freezer, so the prep was a snap. I used garlic salt for the salt + the crushed garlic. I had to use dried parsley & I halved the olive oil & vinegar (DH is not a fan of a vinegar flavour in most dishes). As I was putting this together, I recall thinking to myself that it was going to be ordinary, but was I ever wrong! The meatballs even tasted Greek to us, so much so that we swirled some Greek yoghurt in it & enjoyed that too. Some crusty bread & this light soup made a great meal for a cool Icelandic evening. Pls see my rating system & thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 2 lbs soup bones
- 1⁄2 cup ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bones in a large saucepan, add 6 cups water, cover and simmer over low heat 3 hours.
- Skim off foam on surface, strain and discard bones, keeping the liquid (add more water if necessary to maintain 6-cup quantity).
- Wipe out saucepan, return the broth to pan and bring to a simmering point.
- Combine the beef with salt, pepper and 2 Tbs parsley.
- Form into 1-inch meatballs, add to broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan, stir in paprika and cook 2 minutes; add to the soup.
- Add rice, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbs parsley thru vinegar.
- Serve at once.