Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great comfort food, well worth the time to fix. Excellent with mashed potatoes. This recipe was handed down from my mom.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) eye of round roast
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 yellow onions, diced or 1 white onion
- 2 cups celery, large dice
- 2 cups carrots, large dice
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth or 1 1⁄2 cups bouillon
- Cut roast across grain into 2" slices. Sift flour, salt and pepper together. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp on one side of meat, pound well with a meat mallet. Turn over and repeat on the other side, and on the remaining pieces.
- In a large deep skillet with lid, or dutch oven, heat bacon grease and brown meat slices well, about 5 minutes per side. Remove meat and set aside. Cook the vegetables until tender, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, cover with the vegetables, add the undrained tomatoes and beef broth. Cover and simmer (slow boil) until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours Cut into portions, top with vegetables and gravy, serve.
- To bake: Follow directions, and instead of simmering on the stove top, cover and bake in a medium oven (350°F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
This was delicious. I made it with mashed potatoes & the sauce went perfect.