1/4 Photos of Taxi Stand Jerk Chicken With Pineapple Mango Salsa
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe for jerk sauce is courtesy of Ray's Hideaway Restaurant and Taxi Stand, Montego Bay, Jamaica. It's fiery, but not incendiary, full of flavor, and worth the effort to make it. I got the recipe from The Early Show on CBS. The chicken needs to marinate 4-8 hours so start early. :D
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, green and white parts chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2-1 scotch bonnet pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (more or less to taste)
- 3 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mango, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1In a food processor or blender, combine the red onions, green onions, oil, water, lime juice, soy sauce, Scotch bonnet chiles, garlic, ketchup, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and thyme and process until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- 2Wash the chicken breasts and pat dry. Using rubber gloves cover each breast with the jerk paste.
- 3Place the chicken in a zip lock plastic bag and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- 4Prepare a charcoal or gas barbecue for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan under the cool side of the grill rack. Preheat to 350ºF.
- 5Make sure the grill rack is clean and oil it thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray.
- 6Remove the chicken from the bag and move to the prepared grill rack over direct heat.
- 7Cook for 5 minutes per side, then move the chicken to the cool side of the grill and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer per side, until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- 8Remove the chicken from the grill and let stand for 10 minutes, covered.
- 9Meanwhile, prepare the salsa by combining the pineapple, mango, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice in a food processor and pulsing 3 or 4 times until the ingredients are chopped, but still chunky.
- 10Remove to a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- 11Serve each breast topped with a generous portion of salsa. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taxi Stand Jerk Chicken With Pineapple Mango Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.6
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 76.3 mg
- Sodium 1823.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g