Recipe by Lvs2Cook
We love this soup -- very comforting on a cold day! The recipe is from Complete Crockery Cookery.
Top Review by Viclynn
My family loves this soup. I actually prepare it through the step when you blend the vegetables, then freeze. When ready to eat, continue with the water, cornstarch, etc. GREAT on a cold Wisconsin evening!
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can light beer, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine celery, carrot, green pepper and onion in a slow cooker. Add broth, beer, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours.
- After 5 or 6 hours, remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and process in a blender or food processor in batches until pureed and return to cooker with broth. Turn control to HIGH. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pureed mixture. Add cheese gradually, stirring until blended. Cover and cook on HIGH 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.