12 hrs 55 mins
Punky Julster's Note:
My friend gave me this recipe and it's a great variation on your ordinary meatloaf. Prep time includes overnight refridgeration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the meatloaf
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 slices white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- 3/4 lb bacon, chopped into half-inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
For the glaze
- 1In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- 2Add the torn bread and let it absorb the liquid for about 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cook bacon (very crispy but not burnt) until most but not all of the fat is rendered. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 4Stir the bread mixture with a fork to blend.
- 5Add the remaining meatloaf ingredients, including the drained bacon, but not the beef, and mix thoroughly.
- 6Fold in the beef and mix to incorporate throughout, being careful to avoid mashing or overhandling the meat.
- 7Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- 8When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 9Remove bowl from the refrigerator and shape meat into a loaf approximately 5 inches long and 3 inches high.
- 10Place in the middle of a low-sided baking pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- 11In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients together.
- 12Brush meatloaf with glaze and bake for another 20 minutes.
- 13Remove meat loaf from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tavern on the Green's Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (1824 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3738.2
- Calories from Fat 2540
- Total Fat 282.2 g
- Saturated Fat 97.9 g
- Cholesterol 922.7 mg
- Sodium 5965.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 41.8 g
- Protein 189.7 g