This recipe originates from Gavin "Miller" Duncan's posting of the Tavern on the Green's Chicken Francais. As I was rewriting this recipe and searching for information for this description, I discovered Gavin had passed away in 2004. This is ironic, because I have posted this recipe as a lower sodium and lower fat version of the same recipe which I created in order to improve my own diet as a result of certain health issues. In rewriting this, I hope to honor Mille's memory and share with you a healthy option for others trying to improve their own health. Whether you try my recipe or Mille's, please enjoy. Bon Apatite! Here is the link to Mille's original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/tavern-on-the-greens-chicken-francais-26472
- 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 59.14 ml flour
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 29.58 ml fleishman's unsalted margarine
- 170.09 g white wine
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1.23 ml salt substitute
- 7.39 ml mustard powder
- 7.39 ml mustard seeds
- 29.58 ml low-fat sour cream
- 14.79 ml Wondra Flour
- 56.69 g cold water
- Mix white pepper, a few shakes or grinds of black pepper and the garlic powder in a sealed container and shake until well mixed.
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to make uniform thickness for even cooking. Make sure to pound the chicken so that the thick parts are roughly the same as the thinnest parts of the chicken in order to get even cooking.
- Put each piece of chicken into the container with the flower and shake well to dredge, shake off excess.
- Heat margarine in saute skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken in pan and saute until cooked halfway through, about three minutes if your chicken is about half an inch thick. Expect about 4 minutes if it is much thicker. After time is up, reduce heat to medium.
- Turn chicken over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate on the side, then add minced shallots and garlic.
- Cook for one minute until you can smell the aroma of garlic, and then add wine to deglaze pan.
- Mix the two tablespoons of cold water with Wondra, then add to the deglaze sauce base.
- Season with No-Salt and pepper.
- Add mustard powder and seeds and stir into sauce.
- Let sauce cook for two minutes to reduce, and then add sour cream.
- Mix all ingredients with a whisk in the pan until sauce has consistent texture and thicken.
- Put chicken back into sauce and let cook for another two minutes to bring all ingredients to the same temperature before serving.
- Serve with rice or pasta, and share sauce over all!