1/2 Photos of Tavern Cheese Soup
This is from a cookbook called Wisconsin Potato Sensations. I bought it at the WI State Fair and while waiting in line for my baked potato I was thumbing through it and 3 different people said this is the best soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup water, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1In a large saucepan over high heat, brin potatoes, 1 1/2 cups water, celery, leeks and bouillon granules to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- 3Remove from heat (DO NOT DRAIN) and mash mixture until smooth.
- 4Gently stir in cheese until melted.
- 5Stir in milk, beer (or water), worcestershire sauce, salt, dry mustard, and white pepper.
- 6Stir over low heat until hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tavern Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Sodium 867.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 15.2 g