Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a traditional dish from the Republic of Macedonia. I modified it a little from a website I found.
- 2 cups dry large white beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 2 -3 pieces dried paprika (hot or sweet)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Drain soaking liquid and put beans and one onion in a pot, cover with liquid, bring to a boil and then let simmer until beans just start to become tender, not mushy.
- Drain off all but about two cups of the cooking liquid and set beans aside.
- In a saute pan, fry the remaining two onions in a generous amount of oil (1/4 cup) until translucent.
- Add broken pieces of paprika (and/or powdered paprika, if you wish), herbs, salt and pepper.
- Put beans into a glass or clay baking pot and mix in sauteed onion mixture. Add some of the cooking water, drizzle with remaining oil and place in a 350 degree oven.
- Check beans periodically for desired consistency, adding water or covering with lid or foil as needed.