Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from a Vietnamese restaurant in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China. Acquired while doing TESL training in Zhuhai. Serve with cooked rice and stir-fried spinach with garlic.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced (including tops)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut tofu into 2x3 inch, 1/2 inch thick slices and pat dry.
- Place sugar in frying pan over medium-high heat, shake often until sugar is melted and tan colored, 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water (mixture will bubble furiously) and stir until caramelized sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in soy sauce, shallots and garlic, stir often until sauce is boiling. Reduce to simmer.
- Lay tofu slices in single layer in sauce and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn pieces over.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes longer and then transfer tofu to serving dish. Pour sauce over tofu and sprinkle with green onions and pepper.