Recipe by Mille®
This is a traditional Scottish peasant soup, easy to make and made with the most humble and easily obtained ingredients. Traditionally a handful of finely chopped nettle tops is thrown in 10 minutes before serving but parsley would be a reasonable alternative to freshen up the soup.
- 1 lb old potato
- 2 onions
- 2 old carrots
- 4 slices bacon
- 7 1⁄2 cups beef stock or 7 1⁄2 cups water
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh parsley, handful,finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice the potatoes, coarsely shred the peeled onions and carrots and cut the bacon into squares.
- Bring the water or stock to the boil in a large pan and add the vegetables and bacon.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1½ hours until the soup is thick and creamy.
- Add the chopped nettle tops or parsley 10 minutes before serving.