Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
When you call the cops, make sure you have these on hand!
- 14 fluid ounces milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes (a/k/a tatties)
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast
- 4 fluid ounces water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 1⁄2-7 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Scald milk; stir in shortening, sugar and potatoes; cool to lukewarm and then mix well.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Add to lukewarm mixture.
- Stir in beaten eggs.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt; add gradually to the lukewarm mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Add another ½ cup flour if needed- this is a soft dough.
- On a well floured board, roll out dough and cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Place doughnuts on waxed paper; cover with a cloth and let rise until double in bulk.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, in melted shortening or oil heated to 375F.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Shake a few doughnuts at a time in a bag containing sugar and cinnamon.