Recipe by Lil Monkey
This is a really yummy snack. It looks like a thick tortilla but has a sweet subtle coconut flavor. I got the recipe from my Chamorro mother-in-law. They're great with a little bit of butter! I usually make them at the beginning of the week and make one each day to share with the family.
Top Review by ChamoritaMomma
OK....it's a Sunday afternoon and I'm craving something, but don't want it to take too long. I decided to make this recipe cause it reminds me of when my mom used to make it. They were delish!! The only thing I would do different is add a little more sugar, maybe 3/4 cup and will cut back on the coconut milk to 3/4 of the can....it was a bit too watery and I had to add more flour. But other than that, once we slathered on the butter, it was YUMMY IN OUR TUMMY!!
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk (Chaokoh is the only brand we use)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Mix in shortening with a fork.
- Add coconut milk and mix well using your hands.
- If dough is too dry, add 1 Tbs of water at a time until dough is a little moist and holds together enough to make a ball.
- From the big ball of dough make 6-8 mini dough balls.
- Roll out dough ball on a floured board until thin.
- Place rolled out dough in pan over medium heat (do not add oil or butter to pan!).
- Use a fork to poke out any air bubbles.
- Brown on both sides.
- Refrigerate any left over dough in ziplock bag for 1 week.