Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kathleen King, owner of Tate's Bake Shop, developed this recipe to bring with her to a seder in 2004. They are simple, fudgy and dense. They keep well in the refrigerator. *For lighter brownies, substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 cup of the butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 9" square baking pan with nonstick spray (kosher for Passover) and waxed paper on the bottom. The waxed paper allows easy removal of the bownies and they can be cut more evenly.
- Mix the espresso powder and water and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugars into the melted butter until they are combined.
- Add the eggs, coffee mixture, cocoa powder, salt, and matzo meal. (Mix to blend.).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the batter evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. The center should still be a bit soft.
- Cool the brownies in the pan.
- Loosen the edges and remove them from the pan and cut into squares.