Recipe by Oolala
These are the best thin and crispy type of chocolate chip cookies! The recipe hails from Tate's Bake Shop in Southampton, NY. The owner, Kathleen King has a cookbook with a forward by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) and the recipe is in that book, although I found it on-line. I tried these cookies this summer after my friend, Jane, turned me onto them. I had been buying them but now that I can make them, I'm saving a ton (of $) but gaining a ton(of weight)! Click on this link for photos and info. http://www.tatesbakeshoponline.com/store/ Rachael Ray featured Tate's in her Hampton's on $40. a day (she could only afford one raspberry square! - I posted the recipe here Tate's Bake Shop Raspberry Squares . Enjoy with cold milk! *Reviewer Chef Crazed Tyler is right about the brown sugar and I have changed the amount here to reflect the proper amount! Thank you!
Top Review by Doelee
Oolala, thank you so very much for this recipe. I am in heaven. Being gluten-free, I substituted the AP flour with white rice flour, added 1 tbsp. of water instead of a tsp. and 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum. They taste better than any Tate's chocolate chip cookie I have ever had and I am so very happy!! Outstanding!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, 2 sticks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease or line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, then add the water and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Add eggs to the butter mixture and mix them lightly.
- Stir in the flour mixture. When flour is mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop 2 tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Make sure the cookie sheets are well greased. I like to use parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-17 minutes or until the edges and centers of the cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks.