Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A ten-pound bag of taters, cheap chicken breast, experimentation and laziness led to this delicious and perhaps healthy dish. Will also work without chicken, with mustard greens instead of spinach, etc. etc.
- 3 large baking potatoes
- spices (garlic, black pepper, sage...)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in thumb-sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded spinach
- Cut potatoes in 1/4 inch slices like coins; speed trumps consistency (see step #3).
- Pour olive oil in the bottom of a skillet or large saucepan with lid and sides high enough to accomodate the potatoes with room to spare. It should cover the bottom so you may need more oil depending on your skillet.
- Arrange potatoes flat on the bottom of pan in layers, with thicker slices on the outside and thinner slices towards the middle.
- Sprinkle your choice of spices over the potatoes.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of potatoes.
- Arrange spinach leaves on top of chicken.
- Cover tightly (use foil if you have to).
- Turn the burner on medium and walk away for half an hour.
- Slice like a pizza between two people or keep for yourself. Mmm-mmm-mmm!