Recipe by TexasKelly
My husband begged me to find this recipe and make it-- its his favorite comfort food. It reminds him of his childhood, sitting down at the dinner table on a Friday night, and digging into a warm dinner that his mom had just pulled out of the oven. He loved it. I didn't care for it all that much, because I know its such a fattening dinner, but I love cooking for my husband and making him smile.
Top Review by Cathy17
This was pretty good. I followed the directions to a T except I added minced garlic and worchestire sauce to the sauteéing onions. I also added fresh diced tomatoes on top of the frozen mixed veggies as Kelly suggested in her recipe directions. The only thing I would change is instead of layering all the items, I would mix them all into the cooked ground beef, onions, garlic and worchestire sauce. I found that the layering didn't seep into the rest of the casserole which made about 1/3 of it a little dry. Had I mixed all the ingredients and perhaps added one more can of cream of mushroom soup to the top before the tater tots, it probably would have been better. I will make this again by mixing everything together so the flavors and ingredients blend together a bit more.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey or 1⁄2 lb chicken
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 0.5 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown your ground meat, and drain.
- Sautee onions and mix into the ground meat.
- Spray a small baking dish (I used a small loaf pan) with cooking spray, and spread ground meat mixture evenly on the bottom.
- Spread the mixed frozen veggies on top of the ground beef.
- Next, top off the veggies with the cream of mushroom soup.
- On top of the soup, layer the cheese.
- Lastly, top of the cheese with the tater tots.
- I probably used more than 2 cups of them.
- I also sprinkled some of the cheese on top of the tots.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- After 15 minutes is up, cover the pan with foil, and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- · This recipe originally called for 1 can of cut up tomatoes, and for the tomatoes to be layered on top of the vegetables, and the soup and tater tots on top of that.
- I left it out because I don’t like tomatoes, but I know others might like to add that in there.