Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Needed something last minute to take to a potluck so i threw this together. didn't have hashbrowns or regular onions on hand so i substituted! turned out great!
- 1 (32 ounce) packagefrozen frozen tater tots
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 shredded cheddar cheese (or more)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x 13 inch baking dish arrange tater tots in the prepared baking dish.
- in a mixing bowl,combine sour cream, cheese, and mushroom soup.
- pour this mixture over the tots.
- Sprinkle onions over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in 350 degress oven for 45-60 minutes.
- If it starts browning too much cover with foil.
It was very good but very rich... Took it to a potluck but not much was eaten. Not sure if everyone was full on other things or if it wasn't a big hit. I liked it but think it may have been better with ground beef or something to cut some of the richness.
I have made this a few times with some variations: I brown 2 lbs of ground beef with some minced garlic and diced onions. I mix that with 2 cans of Cream of Celery soup, 16 ounces of sour cream, 2 cups of cheese and pour this mix over the tater tots in a very large glass baking dish. I then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. The family LOVES it and it serves my large brood of men easily!
I make this for my family all the time, it's one of the few recipes I have found so far that everyone in my family likes. It's really easy to make, and taste great. You can also make a couple batches at a time and freeze it for later meals.