Recipe by *Parsley*
This is very easy and a good one for kids (and husbands).
Top Review by hubs76
I received a recipe similar to this from my niece but lost it...I'm so glad I was able to find it on Recipe Zaar:-) I did change the ketchup to barbecue sauce since I didn't have any ketchup in the house. I also added cubed Velveeta on top of the mixture prior to adding the tater tots which REALLY made it cheesy. You know what they say...You can never have too much cheese
- 1 (29 ounce) can baked beans, use a good quality brand
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili, use good brand
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 lb reduced-fat hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen tater tots, thawed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- additional ketchup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 casserole pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the baked beans, chili, ketchup, onions, mustard and hot dog "coins." Stir well. Bring to a light boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the saucepan mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top evenly with the thawed tator tots. Lightly sprinklewith salt.
- Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the 2 cups cheese. (At this point you can squirt swirly ketchup designs over the cheese, but that's optional).
- Return to hot oven for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted to liking.