Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tater tots in muffin pan with eggs--baked in the oven. A great breakfast for kids. Quick, easy and not messy. There is no salt since the potatoes are seasoned. Some like to put A-1 sauce on their potatoes.
- 50 -60 tater tots (1 large package in frozen foods section)
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Let the tater tots you are using to set out for a few minutes to soften so you can squish them.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable oil.
- Take 4 or 5 tots place in each cup.
- Mash with pestle or back of spoon to line the bottom and sides of each cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
- Press down in bottom of the cup with spoon.
- Place in oven and cook 5 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and break an egg in each cup.
- Bake 15 minutes until white and yolk are set. It could be 20 minutes.
- Check frequently.
- If you want the yolk to be basted, spoon a little water on top of each yolk.
- Remove from oven.
- Use a heat resistant rubber spatula to loosen edges and bottom of each tater tot cup.
- Serve on serving platter.
I made this for breakfast this morning, cutting the recipe in half. I thought it was very good, although I'll probably tweak it a little. I can see that there is the potential for many variations (add sausage, sprinkle with herbs, sauces, etc). My husband really loved it--he took a bite and pronounced it "the perfect food." I won't say how many he ate--just that I had to make another bunch! UPDATE: Almost 1 1/2 years after I first made this, it remains a favorite with my DH. I cook his for 15 minutes for a more custardy yolk, and mine and DS's for 20 minutes for well-cooked yolks. Here's a tip: I find that a gravy ladle works better than a spoon for mashing the tater tots into the muffin tins.
Such a simple idea but great presentation! For some reason, I could not find tater tots, so I used potato patties & they worked very well. Delicious!
These were pretty good. I needed to use a LOT more oil since mine stuck to the pan and they need to look like they aren't done on top. I kept checking on them and they didn't look done and when I thought they were ready, I ended up with hard boiled eggs!!