Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this one night, trying to use leftovers and do something easy. I took a cue from a beef casserole that I have had before. Instead of the chiles, you could use a 1/2 cup or so of salsa.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded chicken (I like using the leftover's from Mirj's Crockpot Chicken #18787)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) canof chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 30 tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine chicken and beans in bowl.
- Spray 13x9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer the casserole as follows: chicken/beans (on bottom), then chiles, followed by cheese, then tater tots.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove foil, turning oven up to 425°F.
- Using a fork gently flatten out the tater tots and return casserole to oven.
- Cook until tater tots get brown and crispy, about 5-10 minutes.
I thought the recipe looked a bit bland so I borrowed some of the ideas from Crochet Mama. It still needs something but it's a start.
This was good, but I did modify it as follows: I used more chicken, probably 2.5 cups, one can of drained and rinsed black beans, about one can's worth of frozen whole kernel corn, and enough salsa to make it all moist. Topped that layer with slices of pepperjack cheese and shredded cheddar, then a layer of tater tots. I also baked it at 350 uncovered, and didn't mashed the tots. I used an 8x8 dish, so mine was pretty thick. All the changes were based on what I had on hand. My son and I loved it, hubby didn't taste it, but he hates casseroles as a general rule, lol. Next time I think I'll add some cumin and chipotle salsa, as well as some sour cream or cream cheese or cream soup (not a lot) to make the bottom more creamy.
This was really good! I did not have 2 cans of pinto beans, so used 1 can of pinto beans and 1 can of black beans. Then I made as directed, except I cooked it all at 350 for one hour uncovered and it turned out perfect. I added a whole bag of tater tots and did not mash them.No need to cover with foil and change heat. The tater tots came out nice and crispy. Thanks Chez.