Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great college kid recipe! Few ingredients and super cheap.
- 1 (2 lb) package frozen tater tots
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced (or use dried minced onion)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 6 slices American cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In 9x13 inches pan, make one even layer of frozen tots. Set aside.
- Brown hamburger and onion,add seasonings to taste. Drain grease.
- Add both soups to hamburger and mix well.
- Spread hamburger mixture evenly over first layer of tots.
- Cover casserole with cheese slices.
- Use the rest of the frozen tots to make another layer over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and tots are brown.
We loved it! I was looking for a cheap and easy recipe for a Friday evening. The only changes I made were using ground chicken, 98% fat free cream of chicken soup, and 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese. I thought those changes might make up for all the tater tots ;) It was delicious, and I will definitely make it again!
Mmmm, tater tots. I love tater tots, they remind me of elementary school and happy things. My mom didn't ever keep them in the house when my older brother and I were little, so I was excited to try this recipe. My husband and I both thought it was good. I used 1 lb. ground bison, and I drained the grease before adding the seasonings, so I wouldn't drain any seasonings away (if that makes sense), and I used Recipe #92066 for the cajun seasoning. More tater tots on top would have been cool, but I was satisfied with the amount that was in the casserole (there was a BUNCH on the bottom, so each spoonful had a lot o' tot. Haha). I guess I need to work on my tater tot distributing skills. ;) I would definitely make this again. Thanks for posting it! Made for Spring PAC 2010.
easy to make substitutions with other ingredients you have in the house.