Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very tasty tuna pie made with instant potato flakes. It is very reminiscent of a crab cake to me. If you wish it can also be made without the crust and is still just as good.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French-fried onions (divided)
- 3⁄4 cup potato flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna (drained and flaked, add more tuna if desired)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl, combine flour and potato flakes; cut in the butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is moist enough to hold together.
- Press pastry over bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9in. pie plate. Flute edge.
- Set aside 1/2 cup onions.
- Sprinkle remaining onions into pasrty shell.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup of cheese; set cheese aside.
- Spoon tuna filling into into pastry crust.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 mins or until crust is golden.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and onions; bake 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.