Recipe by kosmicpat
Chilli has always been my fave dish and i have tried many variations on the basic content. This is the best I've come up with. The ingredients can be varied personal taste, the final two ingredients are what makes this dish stand out!
Top Review by Stardustannie
YUM!! This recipe was fab...I added a few extra's (recipe is so forgiving you could basically add what ever veg you have on hand) I added 1 large chopped carrot and replaced one of the onions with a large leek also replacing the puree with tomato paste. I reduced the cooking time in step 3 and added more veg stock in step 4.This was enjoyed by all including my meatloving DH. Thanks for sharing.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coursely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large green pepper, coursely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 -4 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2-1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1⁄2-1 pint vegetable stock (instant bouillion works well)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 -2 teaspoon mint (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly saute the coursely cut onion and pepper and sliced celery for 2-3 minutes, then add the crushed garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook for further 1-2 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and add the beans then the chilli, cumin and coriander. Gently cook this mixture for a couple of minutes then add the chopped tomatoes and the stock made in enough water to cover the mixture.
- This may now be cooked on a hob (on a medium heat ) or in an oven (at 180c ) for about 45 minutes. Stir 2-3 times whilst cooking and add water if needed.
- At this point add the bulgar wheat and tomatoe puree. More water may be added if neccessary and the basil and mint if desired (these mellow the spice somewhat or if you prefer your food extra spicy this is your last chance to add more chilli etc) and this is then cooked for a further 15 minutes.
- At the very end add the english mustard and the Worcestershire sauce, These make this simple dish special.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve this with wholegrain rice, garlic toast, and a green salad.