Recipe by Tasty Buds
The secret to great tasting greens is salted pork called pepper jewl. Pepper jewl is the part of the pig around the neck and is salted and seasoned with pepper. You can find it in most urban neighborhood markets.
- 2 lbs turnip greens
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork (pepper jewl)
- 4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pepper jewl in a large pot and brown on both sides.
- Remove cooked pepper jewl from pot and set aside for later.
- Add 4 cups hot water, salt, pepper,crushed red pepper flakes,olive oil, sugar and red wine vinegar, and bring to a boil.
- Add half the turnip greens, cover and cook for 10 minutes until greens have cooked down a little.
- Add rest of greens. Stir well, cover and cook for 40 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir two or three times while greens cook.
- Add pepper jewel back to pot.