Recipe by Mrs. Regan
My fiance and I love cooking for each other, even though most of the time we end up cooking up a box of mac 'n cheese. I try to change things up a bit by adding things I have on hand. This is one I came up with one night that ended up being very good and I make it over and over on those nights when I don't have a lot of time and I don't want to make just another box of macaroni.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Super quick and inexpensive meal. One thing I would do different would be to add the tuna at the last minute. I think by cooking the tuna it made the dish a little too fishy for me. I loved the addition of the mushrooms and tomato. Thanks for posting!
- 1 (5 ounce) can albacore tuna (in water)
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box Kraft macaroni and cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (diced)
- 1⁄4 onion (diced)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 dash paprika
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water for macaroni and begin cooking as directed on package (usually approximately 8 minutes.).
- Heat butter in small sauce pan.
- Add mushrooms, onion, parsley, basil, paprika, and red pepper to pan. Let cook for about 3 minutes (until onions are transparent).
- Add a dash of the liquid from the tuna to the pan. Drain the rest and add tuna to pan.
- Stir in about 2/3 of the can of tomatoes, the rest can either be mixed in or served on top.
- Lower heat and let simmer for a couple minutes.
- When the noodles are cooked, drain and return to pan.
- Mix the milk, cheese powder, and tuna mixture to the noodles.
- Serve with a scoop of tomatoes on top. (optional).