Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a really wonderful way to have your eggs. Simple, economical and full of delicious flavours it is proof positive that tasty doesn’t have to be complicated! You can multiply this to make more servings, but I don't recommend doing anymore than two in a pan at a time. You could also do individual servings in indidividual skillets and serve them right in the skillets at the table for a novel presentation.
Top Review by Shirlsaw
Wonderful! I followed "Food Addict" and only used 1 teas. of olive oil as I am watching calories. Also a fresh tomato instead of canned. Served over a slice of toast. I will be making this often once the tomatos start coming in from the garden. A tasty lower cal breakfast - perfect for me!!!
- 29.58 ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fat garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 400 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 leaf fresh basil, torn up or 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- Pour in the olive oil and heat that until it just starts to shimmer.
- Add the garlic and saute just until it begins to be fragrant.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and throw in the basil leaves.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a few minutes until the flavours meld and the tomatoes have reduced a bit.
- Break the eggs into the pan, leaving some space between them if possible. (This all depends on the size of your pan)
- Cook until the whites just start to set, then pop a cover on and finish cooking until eggs are set and done to your taste. We like them so that the yolks are a bit runny.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt and cracked black pepper over the yolks and serve with toasted bread fingers for dipping.