Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a really wonderful way to have your eggs. Simple, economical and full of delicious flavours it is proof positive that tasty doesn’t have to be complicated! You can multiply this to make more servings, but I don't recommend doing anymore than two in a pan at a time. You could also do individual servings in indidividual skillets and serve them right in the skillets at the table for a novel presentation.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- Pour in the olive oil and heat that until it just starts to shimmer.
- Add the garlic and saute just until it begins to be fragrant.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and throw in the basil leaves.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a few minutes until the flavours meld and the tomatoes have reduced a bit.
- Break the eggs into the pan, leaving some space between them if possible. (This all depends on the size of your pan)
- Cook until the whites just start to set, then pop a cover on and finish cooking until eggs are set and done to your taste. We like them so that the yolks are a bit runny.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt and cracked black pepper over the yolks and serve with toasted bread fingers for dipping.
Wonderful! I followed "Food Addict" and only used 1 teas. of olive oil as I am watching calories. Also a fresh tomato instead of canned. Served over a slice of toast. I will be making this often once the tomatos start coming in from the garden. A tasty lower cal breakfast - perfect for me!!!
Thanks for another great one, MarieAlice! This is a great breakfast! I didn't have any canned diced tomatoes on hand, so I used a chopped fresh one and it turned out perfect. I will definately make these again!
I love these poached eggs. I am on a low starch/sugar diet and these were wonderful. Very flavorful and much better than eggs poached in a plain tomatoe sauce. I used canola oil(was out of olive oil or I would have used it).Added minced onion,garlic and tabasco sauce. Once the eggs were to my liking I sprinkled a little salt,pepper and oregano over them. I could not use the toasted bread but definetly try them for dipping in the sauce. Thanks for a delightful recipe.