This is my tasty vegan tofu scramble in it's basic form but make no mistake, it is super delicious! Even to people that love eggs. This can be dressed up with your favorite veggies, sauces, or spices. It's great in a whole wheat tortilla, on toast, or with homefries.
- 0.5 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced cremini mushroom
- 1 -2 tablespoon garbanzo flour (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu and add nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, and soy sauce and stir to mix (mashing with a fork helps incorporate all the flavors into the tofu). Set aside.
- Add just enough of the broth (set the rest aside) to cover the bottom of a large skillet and heat for one minute over medium heat. Add the tofu mixture and peppers, onions, mushrooms. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables reach desired tenderness, adding more vegetable broth as needed. If using garbanzo bean flour, add in just at the end to thicken up any excess liquid and add some creaminess to the scramble.
This was a great tofu scramble. I loved the veggies in it. I did sauté the onion, bell pepper(I used red bell pepper) and mushrooms first to bring out the flavor and used homemade veggie broth. Thanks! Made for Pick a Chef event, spring 2014.