Prep 2 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is my favorite marinate for tofu-steaks :) - hope you'll like it, too!
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄8 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marmite (yeast extract)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (or other)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar (or other sweetener)
- cayenne, to taste (can be omitted)
- Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 slices, then drain.
- Dissolve Marmite in boiling water.
- Add tomato sauce, soy, vinegar and spices. Stir to blend.
- Marinate overnight, for best result. (or at least 2 hours).
- - Bake, grill or fry.
I recently turned vegetarian and have been looking for some winning tofu receipes. This one is definitely fantastic -- so easy, and the ingredients are so basic. I omitted the marmite, as I did not have any and it still turned out fine. I chose to bake the steaks, flipping once during the process. For the last 5 minutes or so, I turned on the broiler which gives them a great chewy texture. I'd definitely make this again. Thanks!