Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
- 11 ounces firm tofu (super firm)
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 crusty rolls
- In a large frying pan, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onions until soft.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend 8 oz tofu with garlic and basil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and add sauted onion/mushroom mixture, 1 and 1/2 cups bread crumbs, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes.
- Grate the remaining tofu-add to the mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide mixture into 6 patties-press together well.
- Coat each patty well with the remaining 1 cup bread crumbs.
- Add remaining olive oil to the same skillet you used to saute the onion/mushroom mixture.
- Over medium heat to medium high heat fry patties 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Be gentle when you flip them-tofu burgers tend to fall apart.
- Drain on paper towels, salt and pepper to taste.
- These are quite nice on crusty rolls with a garlic mayo, spinach, red onion rings and slivered sun dried tomatoes(winter) or garden fresh slices of tomato.