Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
From King Arthur Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 egg, to brush on dough
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons water
- Make dough: Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Work in butter until mixture holds together when you squeeze it, with pecan-sized lumps of butter still visible.
- Mix egg and milk, and add it to the dough, mixing just until everything is cohesive.
- Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a rough 3" x 5" rectangle, smoothing edges.
- Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or for up to 2 days.
- Make filling: In a small saucepan, mix jam with cornstarch/water. Bring mixture to boil, and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Assemble tarts: Remove dough from the refrigerator, and if it's been chilling for longer than 1 hour, allow it to soften and become workable, about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Place one piece on a lightly floured work surface, and roll it into a rectangle about 1/8" thick, large enough that you can trim it to an even 9" x 12". Set it aside.
- Roll second piece of dough just as you did the first.
- Press the edge of a ruler into the dough you've just rolled, to gently score it in thirds lengthwise and widthwise; you'll see nine 3" x 4" rectangles.
- Beat egg, and brush it over entire surface of dough.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of jam into center of each marked rectangle.
- Place second sheet of dough atop first, using your fingertips to press firmly around each pocket of jam, sealing the dough well on all sides.
- Cut dough evenly in between jam pockets to make nine tarts.
- Gently place tarts on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, and refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes, to relax and chill the dough.
- Prick top of each tart several times with a fork.
- Bake tarts in a preheated 350F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove them from oven, and allow them to cool on pan.
- Combine confectioners' sugar with 3 teaspoons of water, adding additional water if necessary to make a pourable glaze.
- Pour and spread glaze over cooled tarts.