Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Our family favorite tuna melt sandwiches! A delicious blend of ingredients makes these really special. Great served with a pickle spear and a cup of tomato soup. Note: Make with albacore, if possible, and be sure to drain the tuna very well.
- 12 ounces white albacore chunk tuna, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 -3 dashes onion powder
- 2 -3 dashes celery salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced (optional)
- 3 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- fresh black pepper
- 6 slices wheat bread
- 3 slices American cheese (or cheddar or provolone slices)
- tomatoes, slices thinly sliced (optional)
- Heat skillet on medium-low.
- In a bowl, stir together the drained tuna (be sure your tuna is very well drained) and the mayonnaise. Add the tarragon, onion powder, celery salt, lemon zest, and the pickle relish. Stir well. Add black pepper to taste.
- For each sandwich:.
- Melt a generous pat of butter (about 1 tablespoon, or more) in the skillet. Lay a slice of bread in the skillet and top with one third of the tuna mixture, spreading evenly. Top with another bread slice. Cook for 4 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Add another smaller pat of butter to the pan. Flip sandwich over. Carefully lift the top bread slice, and insert a slice of cheese. Replace top and cook for 3 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- Good with a pickle and a cup of tomato soup!